Memorial Day 2017 | When is Memorial Day: Wishes for Memorial Day to all of our readers. Memorial Day was originally called Decoration Day and was initiated to honor the soldiers for the Union and Confederate armies who died during the American Civil War. The original national celebration of Decoration Day took place on 30 May 1868. When Memorial Day became a federal holiday, it was given the floating date of the last Monday in May. Since many companies close for the holiday, Memorial Day weekend is three days long for most people. It is the unofficial beginning of the summer vacation season that lasts until the first Monday in September, which is Labor Day.
When is Memorial day 2017?
Memorial Day which started after the Civil War in 1868, was created to honor American Soldiers and Civilians who died while fighting for their country. The establishment of a public holiday was meant to unify the celebration as a national day of remembrance instead of a holiday celebrated separately by the Union and Confederate states. By the late 19th century, the holiday became known as Memorial Day and was expanded to include the deceased veterans of all the wars fought by American forces. In 1971, Memorial Day became a national holiday by an act of Congress and from then Every year Memorial Day is observed on the last Monday of May and this year it will be celebrated on 29th of May. It was formerly known as Decoration Day and commemorates all men and women, who have died in military service for the United States. Many people visit cemeteries and memorials on Memorial Day and it is traditionally seen as the start of the summer season.
YOU CAN ALSO SEE ——>>>>>> MEMORIAL DAY IN THE US
Memorial Day Celebration
Memorial Day honors those who lost their lives while in the military service. It is traditional to fly the American flag at half mast. Many people visit national cemeteries where volunteers will place the American flag on each grave. Memorials are attended as well. It is a day that marks the start of summer and vacation season. As Memorial Day weekend is three days long for most people so People will attend picnics, BBQs, sporting events, and spending time with family. Also, there is a custom of honoring ancestors by cleaning cemeteries and decorating graves.
MEMORIAL DAY QUOTES
- I love America more than any other country in this world, and, exactly for this reason, I insist on the right to criticize her perpetually.
- “Ask not what your country can do for you– ask what you can do for your country.” — John F. Kennedy
- They are dead; but they live in each Patriot’s breast,And their names are engraven on honor’s bright crest.~Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- “There is nothing wrong with America that cannot be cured by what is right with America.” — Bill Clinton
- The willingness of America’s veterans to sacrifice for our country has earned them our lasting gratitude.
- “In the truest sense, freedom cannot be bestowed; it must be achieved.” – President Franklin D. Roosevelt
- I have long believed that sacrifice is the pinnacle of patriotism.
- “Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.” — Mark Twain
- But the freedom that they fought for, and the country grand they wrought for,Is their monument to-day, and for aye.~Thomas Dunn English
- A man’s country is not a certain area of land, of mountains, rivers, and woods, but it is a principle and patriotism is loyalty to that principle.
- “Better to die fighting for freedom than be a prisoner all the days of your life.” — Bob Marley
- “The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.” — John F. Kennedy
- “What’s right about America is that although we have a mess of problems, we have great capacity– intellect and resources– to do something about them.” — Henry Ford
- “The dead soldier’s silence sings our national anthem.” — Aaron Kilbourn
MEMORIAL DAY SAYINGS
“For love of country they accepted death. Saulte to those war heroes.” — James Garfield
“The greatest glory of a free-born people is to transmit that freedom to their children.” — William Harvard
“Courage is contagious. When a brave man takes a stand, the spines of others are stiffened.” — Billy Graham
“They are dead; but they live in each Patriot’s breast, And their names are engraven on honor’s bright crest.” — Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
“Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.” — John F. Kennedy
“Guard against the impostures of pretended patriotism.” — George Washington
“The willingness of America’s veterans to sacrifice for our country has earned them our lasting gratitude.” — Jeff Miller
Our nation owes a debt to its fallen heroes that we can never fully repay, but we can honor their sacrifice.” — President Barack Obama
Who kept the faith and fought the fight;The glory theirs, the duty ours.~Wallace Bruce
“Memorial Day this year is especially important as we are reminded almost daily of the great sacrifices that the men and women of the Armed Services make to defend our way of life.” -Robin Hayes
“A hero is someone who has given his or her life to something bigger than oneself.” –-Joseph Campbell
“There is nothing wrong with America that cannot be cured with what is right in America.” – President Bill Clinton
So that was all about Memorial Day 2017 | When is Memorial Day? Do share our post to give honor and gratitude towards our Armed Forces man and women who had died while serving their country. Share these Images on this memorial day to remember those heroes.